View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #55
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Awesome report, especially since there's not a lot of pavement to get in the way of the fun.

Regarding routes were there any maps to persue or did you just use Google Earth for most of your route finding? Or something else?

I'm trying to decide Mongolia or China for enjoyable offroad exploring so looking forward to your experiences.
Go Mongolia mate. It's a bit harder to get there but worth the extra effort and cheap once you are there . The whole notion of no private landownership is something you'll never really appreciate until you experience it first hand. And the place is massive and littred with horse (read single) trails. Right up your alley i reckon. Coming back the fences will piss you off more than before though. I've still got a roaming trip in mind myself, but I've got a few other things I want to do first.

Cant believe how fast it's changing. First time I went there were hardly any tourists except for naadam and lada was still the car of choice. The year after there were heaps of Japanese cars with all the foreign aid and investment along with some western building sites. A few years later heaps of German cars, big add screens in the street, Irish pubs full off backpackers. Now it seems they've got a brand new Mongolian style parliament building overlooking high rises etc. it's both good and bad, because the foreign meddling means they are 'asked' to reform their laws for economic reasons and subsequent cultures which ultimately include a reform to western land reforms based on trade. I can see the end in sight for the land without fences. But maybe I'm being pessimistic caused by the romanticized memories.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote