View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
I stared at these pictures for a year. I began plotting routes on the map. With one of our goals left unrealized from our 2011 trip to Nevada and Oregon, Duckspanker, Dr. Dan and I knew we had to return in 2012. We had to make it to Jarbidge! It had thwarted us but would not do so again. With that in mind, I plotted away. Reading even more books and spending countless hours peering at maps and ride reports thru the winter, I found a more direct route to take us in that direction. I came up with a huge route that would take us from one side of Nevada to the other, from the northern edge down to the center of the state. We would ride in 4 states. It would be epic. I was thrilled.

I discussed my plan with locals to gain more of their golden “local knowledge”. The route got even better! Then I talked to my co-riders. As some of you may know, Duckspanker suffered a terrible injury to his foot last fall while trail riding at Gifford Pinchot National Forest. His injury was always on my mind as I considered routes so I thought it would be best to ask him how he felt about this epic route I had in mind. He was well on his way to recovery. The stainless steel rod was not sticking out of his foot any longer. Physical therapy was progressing well. He was sure he would be ready to ride in mid-June of 2012. Unfortunately, he did not think he would be up to the massive route I had planned. So, it was back to the drawing board…
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote