Thread: 1972 r75/5
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,089
1972 r75/5

Answers/advice appreciated for the statements in bold text. The rest is details to help us both.

So a few months back a buddy sat on my little Honda and liked it. His folks were giving him a /5 one of them had bought, but the little dude didn't like the weight and style of the thing, so I'm selling him mine and bringing his home, while making a little profit to dump back into the thing. 52,000 miles.

So I guess I should get started with a proper thread on it so I know how to approach the thing and feel like it's roadworthy. I took a look at it the other day, and it now has a battery. Sidecover tabs are there, but no covers. Passenger pegs, as someone (east_high) pointed out to me before, have been moved but it looks like a clean job. From what I can tell, it has Wixom luggage and the Avonaire (thanks pfestus1) fairing. My fairing knowledge isn't enough to be sure if it's from the /2 or the multipiece kit for the /5. (It's the 2-piece specifically for /5's)

I couldn't get it to start, but I don't know the intricacies of the process. It would chug a time or two, but no idle. Had gas, left fuel tap on (or at reserve) and seemed to do worse if I put the choke on. I still won't have it home for a few weeks and probably won't hit the roads much until next year, but I'd like a head start. The carbs are not the flat tops, but I'm not sure which they are (can ya tell I'm new to white people bikes?). As well, the tank is definitely gonna need a POR15 run, but I can't see any external rust or pinholes, etc. Carb and petcock rebuilds look easy enough. I did notice the right side petcock would rub and was unable to turn all the way up. I'm thinking there's an internal spacer in there? And where should I go for a complete jet set?

In fact, it looks clean from maybe 5 feet off. Up close you notice how chrome isn't one of those things that stays pretty, so there's a lot of cleaning work to do. Not sure if it has the factory tool kit, but I'm hoping so. Where could a guy buy a /5 tool kit as an all-in-one bundle? Doesn't have to be OEM or NOS or other acronyms.

The needles on the clocks look pretty rough, and the lights inside as well, but seem to be operable. I've seen where folks rebuild them, but too rich for my blood right now. What I'm worried about is undoing the lighting reroute for the fairing. The signals were taken off the stems and mounted outboard, same deal with the headlight of course, so I'm hoping it's not hard to undo. If the front lighting is a total mess, which harness(es) would I be needing to fix that?

The Wixoms will probably get a resto at some point, but they're in pretty good shape. Latches and hinges look totally usable. My understanding is I can still find a key that fits those, correct?

I got lucky and saw an ad for a local guy that's a certified airhead mech. which is pretty rare here, but more opinions could help. My base question is, as a newbie to BMW (and a novice in general), what are the first and most important things to do when you get the bike home? What procedures would you go through? What would you have to buy with most certainty?

And also, would anybody be interested in the Batmobile fairing?

assquatch20 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 10:09 PM
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote