View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
alison's wanderland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Alison’s Wanderland: the journey south : a solo adventure through the America’s

The days are ticking away toward my departure on Nov. 3, and procrastination seems to be a key component in my life. I can’t ever seem to prepare with “adequate” time, so I figured, why postpone the trip any longer? If I leave in a year, I will still be in the same place, a month out, with the same amount of prep work to do. So with a time crunch as my motivation, here is my attempt at starting my ride report in advance… (I figured people might want to see the prep work too.)

First off, an introduction… My name is Alison. I have always had a lust for wandering, motorcycling, and camping. So the day I figured out there was a way to do all three simultaneously, I bought an adventure bike (KLR650). That summer (of 2010) I thought I would take a little trip around the southwest. 10 states and 11,500 miles later, I returned home on such a high I new I wanted to do it again. Last summer (2011) I spent a very solitary ride to Alaska, wandering as far north as I could, and returned home cursing why would I ever want to do a long tour again. Somehow, lost in the days of repetition, I find myself packing up my entire life as I have come to know it in Los Angeles and this Fall (2012) I am riding out to the tip of South America. This trip started because I didn’t know what else to do with my life. Now I can’t come up with a good enough (or any) reason to NOT do it. So off I go with my wandering wheels heading south…

Here are a few photos to get things started (from the AK trip):

* a self-portrait:

* view at 65mph on a road somewhere in the Yukon

* my trusty companion

* emerging from the cocoon on a brisk BC morning

And the story continues...

2003 KLR685 – gone with the summer winds of Patagonia : 2012-13 -> L.A. to Ushuaia
adventures in : alison's wanderland

alison's wanderland screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 12:55 PM
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote