View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Day 4 Sept 20 330 kms Nakusp BC to Sandpoint ID

When I got to Nakusp I didn’t see much besides the hotel and the pizza place I went to pick up my supper, so I took a walk around town before heading out.

Google maps said the quickest way to Creston and the border was to head South towards Nelson, so I followed the signs towards New Denver and Kaslo instead. It was a great road with lots of “slow to 60 kmh” or “slow to 30 kmh” signs. I was pretty impressed with the old shovel, I was taking the “60” corners at about 90 or 100, and the “30” corners at around 50. No shaking or scraping. After A while I looked in the mirrors and saw…… something…… behind me. Kind of a different looking motorcycle gaining fast.

I pulled over to the right to let him by, and I hear this growl as he went by. What is that? Looks Italian. Hey, that’s a Laverda!! (OK, I saw that the back of his jacket said Laverda)

And he was gone.

I stopped for a look around at a rest area.

After a few miles, I saw the Laverda in my mirrors again. I moved over, and away he went. Sweet!!

I turned onto hwy 31 at New Denver. Now this road is twisty. The same “slow to” signs on the corners, but the corners weren’t quite the same. I was dragging floorboards just trying to do the posted speed. Whoo hoo.

If you like bikes, you would like riding in the Kootenays.

I rode into Kaslo, where I stopped for lunch.

I rode along the lake, stopping here and there for a look around

On the ferry I visited with a local fellow riding a BMW 650GS. He told me about all the great riding in the area.

I stopped for gas in Creston and got talking to a guy on a newer Harley. He told me the best way to the border ( I was planning on going to go to a different, further away crossing)

Got to the border and the border guard asked me all the standard questions. No problem, this is going smooth. She asks me where I work and how I am going to support myself in the USA (uh oh) then she looks at me funny and asks “have you ever been arrested or refused entry to the USA”.

Crap

Go inside and see the guy.

He asks me the standard questions, gives me my passport back after a bit and away I go. I just was thinking that whenever I ride a Harley to the border I get questioned, and when I ride something else I am left alone, and maybe there was something to that, when the guy behind me on the KTM 990 with Nevada plates gets hauled in. Well, there goes that theory.

I rode to Bonners Ferry where I picked up some maps and went to the Bank to deposit some money so I could use my handy dandy Wells Fargo debit card I had picked up last spring in Texas.

I rode into Sandpoint. Picked up some groceries and talked bikes to a couple of guys in front of the grocery store, and headed off to a campsite for the night.

BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote