View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,745
Biker Stories from the Road - September 23, 2011

Interstate driving is not something that I wanted to do but a biker chick has to do what a biker chick has to do! LOL and actually it didn't go too bad except that even though we were going 110k other travellers passed us like we were standing still.

So we left Missoula after our bike servicing at Big Sky BMW and headed out of the city trying to find Interstate 90.

Big Sky BMW

Fill in from Garth
Missoula is an interesting city. I think that we should come back here and do some more local exploring.

Lot of these old heritage homes near Big Sky

Great service at Big Sky. Here is the lounge where you can wait for your bike. Cold water TV and computer with internet available

Denise's bike packed up. Hepco Becker side bags (with liners) and a Cabela's boundry duffle (100% waterproof). I carried all of the camping gear but she was able to fit all of her stuff in this setup quite easily

Love this "Life needs more green lights" poster that was up in Big Sky's washroom.

Ahead of us was a truck pulling a horse trailer with a horse inside ... its back end facing us. Wanting to get a feeling as to whether Garth knew where we were going I asked him what the route was ... he replied "just follow the horses ass" and I thought "oh I am"!

One thing about interstates ... once you are on them it is really hard to get off and if you are actually looking for something in particular well good luck! But we had to get back on track today.

We roared through Butte Montana and Garth pointed out that overlooking the city from the top of a mountain is a huge white monument of "Our Lady of the Rockies" which is dedicated to Mary the mother of Jesus. It is quite amazing ... it is 90 ft high, the second largest statue in the USA and is a tribute to all mothers.

(Photo credit http://images.travelpod.com/users/da...he-rockies.jpg)

The interstate took us out of the valley and back into the mountains where we crossed the continental divide. The temperature dropped to 26 degrees and it felt like such a relief from the 31.5 in the valley.

We ended our day in Bozeman Montana and it was 30 degrees at 5:30 pm. I was certain that GW was going to insist on camping tonight but alas a "Days Inn" appeared with a "Famous Dave's Barbeque" next door, yahoo!

We are heading into Yellowstone National Park tomorrow, following highway 89, so we will definitely be camping. This weekend has been declared National Parks weekend and the entrance is free. So the weather is beautiful, the entrance is free, and it is Saturday ... hmmmm can you say lots of traffic?

Something else I have noticed on this cross country ride is the smells! Good natural out-in-the-great-outdoors smells. Every new landscape has its own.

Map of days ride

TO be continued on Monday

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 02:00 PM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote