View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Duckspanker thought it would be better if we had a similar schedule to our 2011 trip. In 2011, we left Denio Junction and did a 4 day loop camping off of our bikes to the east. Then we spent the remaining 4 days doing day loop rides from Denio Junction to various destinations. This allowed us to go long on our big camping loop if necessary without having to rush back to get home. It also would give us some time to fix anything we may have broken on the big loop and still get out for some riding afterwards. It was kind of like having a half time in the middle of our ride.

With this in mind, I went back to the maps. I came up with a 4 day route over to Jarbidge and then back that would use some of the routes we had used before and some fresh territory as well. The big problem I had was 2 water crossings way out in the middle of the desert between McDermitt and Owyhee. There was no real way to know how deep they would be flowing until we were standing on their banks. I asked for info from everyone I talked to, the BLM, local ranchers, local riders and attendants at the gas stations I contacted to find out if they had fuel. I also came up with some other new day loops and decided to extend the Gerlach loop to be an overnighter since it had been a very long day in 2011 with the mileage nearing 300 miles.

After returning home from our ride in 2011 and sharing our stories with all of our riding buddies, we had several people who were interested in making the trip in 2012.

Eventually, the riders ended up being:

ugo1st (aka WildBill and/or Highmarker)

On his Kawasaki KLR650

Kramsetac

On his Husqvarna 610 (with backup Husqvarna 310)

Busdriver

On his Yamaha WR250R which he likes to call “The Bruise”

Duckspanker

On his Suzuki DRZ400

Dr. Dan

On his Suzuki DRZ 400

And me (MasterMarine).

On my 1995 Kawasaki KLX650C

We settled on a date and began the preparations to our bikes, camping gear and ourselves. I set into finalizing our routes and getting them into a format to put into our GPS units. Everyone had a Garmin unit so that made it a little bit easier. I wanted to get everyone the info before we left so any issues with the files could be sorted out.

MasterMarine screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 06:36 AM Reason: name change
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote