View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
f650gsa OP
de la Mobra la BMW

Oddometer: 583
It's been 5 long years , I made it to the end finally - a TAT tale

First of all pardon my English and my grammar skills but I will do my best in telling this Trans American Trail tale as perfect as I can . I will screw up for sure but I hope all the pictures that I am posting will please you .
It all started five years ago in 2008 when I first heard of TAT and from that moment I knew I had to do it . Took me five long years to finally see the Pacific Ocean but it was well worth the time !

The year of 2008

Back in 2008 I had very few off-road skills and with a stock 2002 BMW F650GS I decided to join two fellow riders from Alabama on their TAT quest - full ride report from them can be found at http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374366 . The whole idea was great but I have to admit I wasn't ready for it . As it turned out , TAT was much more difficult than expected and I paid for it . With poorly off-road skills and a mediocre bike set up, I crashed multiple times . Luckily still in one piece , less the bike that suffered extensively- broken and bent subframe , bags , fairing etc etc . I had a full ride report done on f650.com with tons of pics but unfortunately with the new upgrade on the forum all pics are gone less the writing http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php...-and-some-more
Here are few pics from that trip that it started in Trinidad CO and ended in Baker NV .

My first crash of the trip happened somewhere in between Salida and Lake City . While going down the mountain I got too much speed and couldn't stop in time at a sharp turn . Bike went down hard on some rocks and the whole headlight housing with handlebars were severely bent . Striped it and fix it on the spot with the help of a Nature Vice - a hole in a dead tree .

first attempt to straighten the handlebars

second attempt and success !

Second crash of the trip happened on Cinnamon Pass that caused the Moto-Sport racks to break badly . Bailed on the best part of the trip and returned to Lake City for some welding then meet the riders in Monticello UT .

On the way to Moab UT - Manti La Sal National Forest - Geyser Pass

This sandy hill got me and I had to bail again so I went to Arches National Park then to Green River UT where I joined the group .

The Black Dragon and Eagle Canyons - not easy at all but made it trough ! Dropped it at lest 10 times and went trough one gallon of water .

Jerry having a little fun on his 525 !

Just one picture of the ATV trail that runs from Richfield to Kanosh UT . I was so frustrated with it and had the pleasure to drop the bike at least twenty times . The worse was the down hill where the bike acted just like a sled . This section just sucked just as it sucked again in 2012 !

On the way to Baker NV where I had another major crash on a sand pocket . I was doing at least 30 miles/hour just few miles outside Baker where suddenly I got surprised by a sand pit . No time to react and I went airborne along with the bike . If I remember well I had sand even in my underwear ! After this crash I decided to return home with high hopes of returning a different year . I wasn't very pleased with my performance but I learned a lot from it that proved to be very helpful for my future trips . Not the least I have to say Thank You ! - Jerry and Brent - for teaching me some tricks and having the patience waiting for me .

Farewell Jerry( left) and Brent ( right ) . Thank You !

On my return home I took a detour to Grand Canyon and Four Corners to sweeten a little my disappointment !

f650gsa screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 11:11 PM
f650gsa is offline   Reply With Quote