View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Day 5 Sept 21 370 kms Sandpoint ID to Grangeville ID

I wanted to go over my bike this morning, so I packed up my camp, got out the wrenches and went over the bolts I thought needed checking. As expected a couple were loosening a little, so I tightened them up, checked a few things I was watching, loaded up and hit the road.

As I rode it got hotter and smokier. When I stopped for gas or a break, people were commenting about the heat and the smoke. Everybody seemed to think the heat would break by next week, and all thought I was nuts heading towards Texas in this heat, and everybody said the smoke was because there were fires near some town called Grangeville, to the South.

There were lots of historic sites along the way, and made for good places to stop, have a drink of water, and read the signs stating the historic significance.

I stopped in Moscow, Idaho for a bit, and found they had Motorcycle parking only spaces on main street ( I like motorcycle only parking spaces)

Moscow is a college town, with lots of young, artsy types running around. It was kind of tough finding a restaurant with anything I wanted on the menu. J

The downtown area was nice, with lots of trees and well taken care of old buildings

As I headed south, the smoke got thicker. So thick you could taste it. I had to stop to wipe my eyes as they were stinging from the smoke.

I had been watching the time on my GPS, and figured I would tough out the smoke and ride for another hour or so. Once, when I stopped yet again to wipe my eyes, I checked the time on my phone, and it was an hour later than the GPS. I figured I must have crossed a time zone, so I decided to get a room in the next town. I pulled in to Grangeville, apparently the closest town to all the fires and got a room. When I looked at the time on the hotel clock, it said the same time as my GPS. I guess this part of Idaho is on Washington time or something………
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote