View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
Flanny OP
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
So,

Last weekend Patrick and I set out to do a bit of a training ride to see if we could get Patrick physically and/or mentally exhausted. The idea being to have him recognize the feeling of getting tired, and to be able to proactively navigate and ride with more focus in those situations...

So, we came up with the crazy idea of riding 1600 kms in 36 hours, basically, two 800 km days back to back.

This is what the route looked like - I decided to make a ride poster out of it to post here and on our Facebook page...

So the plan was for Patrick to ride from montreal at 6:00 am, meet me in St. Michel des Saints at 8:00 am, (basically where the pavement ends in Quebec), and to ride a giant loop of 50% gravel forestry service roads, 40% logging roads, and 10% ATV trails.

Friday night I made the 5 hour drive up to St. Michel des Saints with the FlannyMedia 450 EXC-Rally in the back of the my pick-up.

Here she is...this would be the first time I rode it with the new livery, which I'm pretty sure added about 12hp to the bike, and magically removed about 10lbs...

[/url]

The drive to St. Michel des Saints was intense...major thunderstorms and biblical rain..at least there would be no dust.

Here is Patrick arriving in St. Michel des Saints after riding for two hours in the cold, wet rain at 6:00 am from Montreal...on a 350 EXC no less... (his thinking was to purposely torture himself with vibration and a 2x4 seat-wedgie for two days...)

Here we are, 700 kms and some 10 hours later (200 more for Patrick) at Patrick's hunt camp, in the middle of absolutely nowhere in northern Quebec...

Here's Pat's total mileage for day 1 (on a 350 no less...)

By the time we arrived, I was pretty knackered, but Patrick seemed to be in really good spirits, and was stoked to be at his hunt camp. I was just ready to get out of my gear when Patrick suggested we ride another 10kms in the dark to retrieve a remote motion-sensing camera from his moose hunting spot...Just what I felt like doing after a already riding 700 kms..

Day two cleared, and was an absolutely gorgeous fall day, cool (just above freezing in the morning) but crisp and clear. The biblical rains meant that there was no dust, and amazing traction on the sandy conditions of most of the roads up there...

Here are a few shots from the day...

Pat at Kanawata - a gorgeous hunting outfitter on a lake.

Me at the same place...

Here's Pat telling the tale in Quebecquois...

For all of you that don't understand French, what he is saying is how he's doing his best to keep up with Flanny, but that I'm such an awesome rider that it's just too mentally tiring to ride like a hurricane, so he's riding his own pace and I'll just have to wait for him. He's also commenting on how he wishes he was as handsome as me, and how cool my bikes are...

Here is my total mileage...1249kms in 15 moving hours..

Here's Pats..Yup - that's 1672 kms between 6:00 am one day and 7:00pm the next day! On a 350!

I spoke with Pat after I got home (in the truck no less), and he said he's be happy to do the ride over again the next day! I felt the same way when faced with the prospect of having to go back to the office!

Next big event for Pat is the Legendary Corduraooy endure...two days of "Canada's toughest race"...more to come on that...

Thanks for following along!

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote