View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #174
mknight OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
September 24, 2012

The first day of racing finally arrived. Josh was a bundle of nerves this morning and choked down as much breakfast as he could. He wasn’t alone. After a week of everyone prepping and anticipating, it was time to ride.

The weather conditions are absolutely perfect. Let’s hope it stays that way. The entire area seems to just be buzzing with activity. I think the kids were let out of school. There were middle school and high school aged kids everywhere at the special tests just loving it.

Josh getting is bike out of impound.

We were able to get away and see him at two of the Special Tests today.
Little brother and sister…..huge Josh supporters.

A typical scene today. Germany kids all over the place, watching the action at the incredible special test venues.

Reid Brown from Oregon in the grass track. He’s the top U.S. rider in the C3 class after Day 1. He’s become a great friend to Josh and is like a big brother of the nice variety. Thanks Reid.

Zack Klamforth, U.S. club rider in the MX section.

Scott Bright from Colorado in the MX section.

Josh on the MX track.

Josh in the grass track.

We then made it over to the mud section on Test 2. This is the “Trials Test” and a woods section……really long test.

Riders as they left the test on to a transfer section. The scenery here is stunning.

Motorcycles are everywhere! This is a typical row of bikes parked at the special test. No Harleys…..but lots of really really cool bikes everywhere! The Germans get it too, they all wear full gear all the time, everywhere they go.

The mud section everyone was concerned about.

Turned out to be a good spectator spot, but everyone got through on problem (if it rains, it will be another story).

Nick Hamill from California.

Reid Brown from Oregon.

Chris Storrie from Texas (he and his Dad are both riding…how cool is that).

Scott Bright from Colorado.

Josh

Billy Burns from Vermont.

We then made it back to the paddock before the Trophy riders started to come in. Here’s Destry Abbott.

Thad Duvall (had some great scores today for the Junior team).

Reid Brown doing a tire change.

Josh made it in. It looked to me like his number plate was crooked. Turns out there was a story behind it. The short story is he had a little run in (low speed) with a car, but he’s fine and bike is fine other than the zip ties and duct tape that now hold up his rear mud flap/fender. It validated one of my biggest concerns, and that is the traffic and pedestrians. It’s pretty chaotic in some of the transitions around the tests. Over 43 riders received speeding tickets today. The police are out in force.

He went to work on his tire change and did great. All his practice paid off.

He moved up about 20 minutes and has an earlier start time tomorrow. His test scores were average, but he was consistent and we discussed that is what it takes to finish 6 days. He’s sitting about right in the middle of all C1 riders (out of 72), and in the upper half of all club riders (inclusive of C1, C2, and C3). He starts a minute behind Jeff Fredette tomorrow. I told him to follow the legend around and learn a few things.

I know he is really happy to have a day under his belt and ready for another.

The Trophy Team is doing fairly well. Charlie Mullins is top U.S. rider but Taylor Robert is really putting down some impressive scores. I think Caselli went down hard in one of the Enduro tests (judging from the mud on his back).

All US riders finished the day and that is important and impressive.