View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Monday 9/24: Albuquerque, New Mexico -- Lubbock, Texas

Not much between Albuquerque and Clines Corners, NM...

For any of you that know, there's not much between Albuquerque and Clines Corners along I-40. *But Clines Corners is a "must stop" place, at least IMHO...

Here's proof that Milledue and I were at Clines Corners...

And this "cigar store Indian" out front impressed me (for some reason...)

Finally, of all places to find a Savonius wind turbine:

Interestingly, the "sound" of the Savonius rotor was VERY noticeable...you could really hear it "whooshing" around. Sounded quite different than the typical big "propellor" type turbines.

South from Clines Corners on US 285

Turning south off of I-40 onto US 285, there's not much...

At Fort Sumner, New Mexico, I had to stop at the "Billy the Kid" Museum.

Billy the Kid was killed by Pat Garrett at Fort Sumner in 1881. Apparently some of this story is in dispute, but...the museum docent played a video on Billy the Kid that I had never seen, and I learned something: the roots of the "Lincoln County War" (in which B the K was perhaps the most consistent protagonist) came from the old "Irish vs. English" conflict. Never knew that...

Onward to Lubbock, Texas and my Host for the Night...

ADV inmate "theRoss" in Lubbock agreed to put me up for the night...along with a friend of his we all went out for a burger...(Doc on the left, theRoss center, friend Mark at right(he's a real doc, unlike me))

Then he tried to get an "artsy" pic of Doc and the Multi outside the joint...there wasn't much light, but at least it shows that Lubbock, Texas does indeed have some nightlife!

Tomorrow's Ride

Tomorrow I've got another ADV inmate expecting me in Scurry, TX. The only problem is how to get from Lubbock to Scurry WITHOUT going thru the DFW traffic during afternoon rush hour. Over a few beers tonight (see above pic) I think we hashed out a plan.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote