View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Dotbond OP
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 733
Gear change issues

Here goes. The bike is a 2010 990R with 8000km.
Over the past few rides I have been finding false neutrals quite often when shifting up or the bike would jump out of gear occasionally. I thought I was getting lazy with my gear shifting. A couple of weeks ago on a ride, I found that down shifting into 4th or 3rd would be very hard to do, a lot of resistance encountered. This would occur randomly, no real rhyme or reason. It would go down but not a slick change by any means, had to put pressure on the gear lever to move it all the way down into the next gear. At one point I pulled away from an intersection, changing up into 2nd and I think it was when going into 3rd, the gear lever moved all the way up but no 3rd gear. Tried it a few times and took my foot off the footpeg to make sure the gear lever was returning back to it's place then tried changing up again. Still nothing, just empty space. I pulled over and stopped and checked to make sure nothing was jammed and that the gear lever was bolted up tight on the spline. All good there. After about 10 minutes rest I carried on and it changed up fine. Didn't do it again, but the random stiff down change occurred a few times.

I put the bike into the bike shop for a service and told them about the problem. Their mechanic went for a couple of rides but could not fault the gear change. They said they did not check the oil jet. I took the bike away and rode it some more.

Last weekend I rode the same ride and this time the random stiff down changes occurred about 20 times. A couple of times it did it going down into 5th, 4th, 3rd and then 2nd before i came to a stop.
At one point in the ride the bike could not go from 5th up into 6th.

The only way to have any chance of replicating the stiff downshifting is when riding along at highway speeds then slowing down and changing down within the 3000 - 4000rpm range. So being gentle with it you could say. You can immediately go back up a gear and down again it it will shift down nicely.

Now it's back in the shop and they are going to pull the clutch cover off to have a look.

So, any thoughts to what the problem could be?

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote