View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
roly1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Laugh day 4

Cua Lo to Houng Khe – Westwards into the Jungle

Road to Houng Khe, Vietnam

Leaving early without breaky I was starving by noon. I had already passed through a big town, Vinh, and could not see any decent looking shacks for grub. I had to settle for a horrible little dark, damp shack. The people were very nice to me but the place seemed to breath disease. Despite leaving half of my noodles and beef I felt very ill after (the only time on the whole trip, and after living in Shanghai eating street food for nearly a year!)

Truck fail, Vietnam

Luckily the riding from then on was great, only light traffic and beautiful countryside. I saw a truck upended in the road, completely stuck, some locals laughed when I got the camera out.

Don Loc intersection, Vietnam

I rode to the Don Loc intersection then on to Houng Khe town. The only hotel in town was fairly terrible, but cheap. Upon entering I found 2 big cockroaches in my room, and a giant centipede in the tiolet. At least the shower was hot. 
I went to the town centre for a snack, my stomach still hurting, so I sat by a lake and ate 2 big bags of crisps. I had some fun with the locals who all kept measuring their height against me.

Back at the hotel I got myself moved to a VIP room on the top floor after showing off my captured cockroaches and a flooded bathroom. The new room seemed nicer, but there was plenty of company in the ceiling, with rats scurrying and bumping around constantly. At 2am a storm kicked off, and apparently tore a hole in the roof, making a terrible noise through which it was impossible to sleep. I didn’t pay any money to stay at that particular abode.

roly1 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 11:21 AM
roly1 is offline   Reply With Quote