Thread: Swan Song
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Swan Song

Wanted this here and not Face Plant for obvious reasons. I think I'm leaving the Parallel Universe.

25 September, sometime a.m.

I-79 North, West Virginia, mile marker 25, in the median

@ 70mph front tire deflated. Bike tipped right. I stood it up. It rolled violently left and crossed left lane into the median. I tried to stay on top. Bike went down on left side and spun. (EDIT: after looking at the damage, I believe the bike initially contacted left side, I pitched forward and left the saddle, and the bike flipped once to land on its right side. My head was direction of the front which was pointing back the way we had come. The back end planted because everything is bent that way and the seat was ejected.) I ended up parallel to it with the oil pan next to me. I think we slid.

I asked for a picture of the bike. This is what I got.

I had just cleared a construction zone and must have picked up something. Tire check was good at launch from the cabin in Kentucky. I had stopped for breakfast an hour back and did a walk around prior to rolling. All was good.
No cars around me. Not speeding. No warning at all. Once we stopped sliding I didn't move.

First person on the scene was an off duty state trooper, Bruce.
I hit the SPOT SOS. (EDIT: You can see it under my right hand in the pic above.) It worked. Dieselwife got notified with one push. She called the ER while I was there. I had put the unit on my belt for the first time just two days ago. It will be there from now on.

I was transported to Charleston General. Bruised but not broken. Everyone looked at me like I wasn’t supposed to be here.

True face plant.

Toe of boot gouged.

Because I wrestled her into the median we slid on dirt and not asphalt.

Bike IMHO is a gonner. It’s in a truck heading with me back home.

The violence evidenced on the bike was not transferred to me. [EDIT: but 3 weeks after , I am still extremely sore and the back and chest (with help of their friends, neck and shoulder) are very much protesting the abuse.] I walked out of the hospital less than 24 hours later. Bruises only. Good gear. Rode her all the way down.

T-A-C

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 11:13 PM
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote