View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #28
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,158
Freddie Spencer

As promised, here's the pic of "Fast Freddie" Spencer and Dr. Greg:

This was taken at the Santa Fe, New Mexico airport in 1998. Freddie was the "guest speaker" at the 1998 Honda Sport Touring Ass'n. "STAR" rally. As rally organizer, I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Freddie, then taking him to the airport.

He was (is) always one of my heroes. Can you IMAGINE the mental and physical effort of winning BOTH the 250cc and the 500cc (er, MotoGP) classes IN THE SAME YEAR?!? Of course, that was 1985. It was rumored the effort so drained him he was never the same, which seems believable.

A very nice guy, and still looked pretty fit to me. Here's to ya, Freddie! Hee, hee...note the huge cell phone hanging off his belt

--Doc

PS. Yes, I did ask him about "THE PASS" in 1983 in Sweden where he beat Kenny Roberts for the 500cc title. I believe Roberts' quote was: "I underestimated what he was prepared to do to win..."

PPS. Someone said that I bore a resemblance to Eddie Lawson in that pic. Believe me, any similarity ends there!

PPPS. My host (Jeff) here in Shreveport (Freddie's hometown) said his neighbor remembers riding with Freddie when he was a kid. Too bad I won't have time to talk to him. Of course only a tiny fraction of USA residents would even KNOW ABOUT Freddie and motorcycle road racing at that time. And to think the USA dominated...KR, Freddie, Eddie, Wayne, Kevin, and several more...sigh.
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote