View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #54
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 853
Where are you guys going from Shadow Mountain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Trailrider View Post
I will put one vote up for the Shadow mountain rd / 395 meet up location.
If it cuts out pavement riding and it would be easier for me to get to.

But I don't want to miss out on anything fun. So what ever works best for you guys.
Any plans for lunch or should I pack a lunch (something more that trail snacks).

I have to agree with Cbig on the new technology of the newer bikes.
Alot of them are locked up and now only the dealer can make changes to the FI system.
Give me a carborated bike any day.
At least for me...
I understand them and after twenty years of working with them I can tear them apart and put them back together. Even if I had to out on the trail.

Sorry for the ealier commit on you XR600... It is a good bike.
I had a XR650R that was an awesome bike for the desert and open areas.
But it was almost 12 years old... A little on the heavy side and a bitch to start (sometimes).
I am loving my new KTM XC-W 450 and the magic button..!!
Alot has changed in the last 12 years..!!
I must have missed the destination. Might want to hook up, throw the xr on the jeep and stage.Got to check the calendar first.

I remember last year meeting up with two older guys touring around the back of Mammoth working their way South. One on I'm guessing about a 1987 blue and white XL600 that looked pretty fresh and the other on some red Honda XL. Loaded with camp gear touring the west. I asked him why those bikes. The 1987 guy said he was the original owner and he had reasonable expectation in the morning when they broke camp his bike would run. They were not slow. Something to be said about intimate knowledge of your bike's condition.

Me, I'll probably always be old school. 10,15 years from now after beating the xr's down to where repairs aren't economical I will buy a 2007 450 exc pumpkin and someone will say "...why you riding that? You should get real dirt bike! That's too old to be fast ..."