View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #86
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Palenque is lowland jungle area, hot and humid, did I mention it is humid there? On the way up there from Agua Azul the day changed from sunny blue skies to torrential downpour, my camera which was in a waterproof exterior pocket managed to get saturated, the waterproof pocket actually managed to trap a small amount of water so the camera sloshed around for a couple of hours, when I took it out of the pocket the water ran out of it. Well a couple of days draining and 2 days in a sealed bag of rice managed to bring the camera back but the view screen is partially screwed up, Oh well, such is longterm travel, Ed was nice enough to lend me his point and shoot until mine came back.

When we got to Palenque we headed out to the ruins, just at the entrance to the park is a little area called Patchan which consists of small businesses running little camps with cabins, small restaurants and one larger restaurant. It's quite a different sort of area catering to backpackers and hippies who arrived and never quite left, did I mention it was humid there?
Everything was damp and or wet with rain happening every now and then all day. It was actually quite interesting, after supper we ended up at the big fancy restaurant, there we were in the middle of the Palenque jungle with howler monkeys screaming in the trees, listening to a live band play excellent latin american music on a high powered sound system, drinking ice cold beer with a big party going on all around us. It was a completely surreal experience.

Ah but next day, up early and off to the ruins
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote