View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #79
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
NF-42 was so much fun I forgot to take pictures. Narrow enough to barely fit a log truck, it climbed up from Clackmans River into rolling hills where tight corners cut through a young pine forest. The thick scent of cut pine told me this section of the farm had been harvested.

Tearing up the roads as per usual I came in pretty hot around a sweeping right hander, only to come face to face with a log truck barreling down the hill on the left side of the road. I made eye contact with him long enough to note the "oh F**k" look in his eyes as he tried to make room and I got up close and personal with the side of his truck.

Glancing in my mirror I notice Bernie coming up fast, looking like he's not slowing down. I grabbed the throttle and shot out from beside the truck into the road, well aware of being inches from either the truck or the deep ditch at the edge of the pavement.

Enjoying the rest of the road a little more cautiously we moved North, hitting a little dirt along the way before popping out on Rt 26.

A short stint on the highway brought us around to the West side of Mt. Hood past the ski area and into the town of Rhododendron. Here we turned North to take NF-18 over the Lolo pass.

Lolo pass is an access road for the high tension power lines that run through the mountains there. The road is poorly maintained (read: fun) and gave us a constant, if partially obstructed, view of Mt Hood.

Some sections are paved

Some are dirt

And it's all pretty narrow

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote