View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #240
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Save your money. Ohlins is way over rated.

Yes, I may be riding 2 up mostly, but the Ohlins provided only better basic response to trail chop and intermediate hits. Even solo it wasn't up to the task. Nicer to ride in general, but blows through the stroke because they have no anti bottom out valving. The further off road I took it, the more obvious it was.

It took a full revalve and several respring attempts to get it anywhere near where I expected it to be.

I tired a KTM 990 Adventure again today, and the standard out of the box suspension on it is far superior to my modified Ohlins. Even 2 up.

That's a waste of $2300 for me so far. Add that to the new price of the F800 and....yep...you've got a 990.

It's hard to smile after that.

At the end of the day, if you're chasing better suspension purely for off road work, then you bought the wrong bike. Yeah, you can keep spending money until the F800 goes almost as well as a 990. But it will always be almost. Plus it'll actually cost you more.
What Ohlins setup do you have and where did you get it at, plus what is your weight? I haven't had any problems with mine from Fastbikes (NIX kit) shy of a few adjustments and an oil adjustment. Of course if I get silly I can get it close to bottoming out but haven't yet and I have jumped some gnarly things. Your suspension sounds based on what you describe to be under sprung and poor valving.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote