View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Have you ever had a set of those?

I put one on my Triumph Speed Triple and found it to be a pain in the butt. Unscrewing and screwing in was the first step, all the time putting tiny aluminum shavings in the tank as the threads we not perfect. Then you have to have a clean place to put the cap since its not attached. A strong enough wind will toss the cap off of the tank bag. Then of course you can't lock it up. If I did any touring, especially out side the country, I'd always be concerned someone may have stolen my fuel.
I do. Haven't ridden much with them. Filled gas through them a couple times though. (My head gasket went and I've been down a couple of months trying to buy parts/find time )

They rest in the slot on my handle bar clamp perfectly. I think they are easier than a key on either side.

I don't really road travel in other countries so, that one isn't really a concern of mine. (But, then again, I have completely removed my keyed ignition from my 690 so, maybe I'm not the person anyone should pay attention to when it comes to security )

I was looking at a relativley cheap, easy way to lighten the load once I felt how much the stock ones weighed.

I always back turn the caps to find the correct starting point and they screw on smoothly with no metal shavings.

However, the OP wanted weight savings for single track and other challenging conditions and this is another easy option. Ok, out to the garage to put my LC8 into a frame so I can post in the "What have you done today" thread.....

Uller screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 12:30 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote