View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,712
Day one ...

The ride from Malaga to Algeciras passed expensively (the autoroute tools in Spain are very expensive) but without problem and we were soon departing Europe bound for Ceuta.

Arriving in Ceuta, Vincenzo needed to fill up with fuel so we located a filling station. On leaving, we turned back the way we had come only for me to be immediately pulled over by the local police. I had crossed a white line. We should have turned right and gone to the roundabout to do a U-turn. Claiming to be French, guessing they didn't speak it and as they hadn't noticed my UK plates, I got away with a stern warning.

A quick stop for coffee and we were soon at the Moroccan border. No cameras allowed!

If you're heading this way, I recommend the use of one of the 'guides' who, whilst they claim to be official, are nothing of the sort but help you through the process of passport control, vehicle import, police check and insurance purchase. We ended up with two which, of course, cost us double but the 150 Dirhams or €15 (I've heard some negotiate down to €5) is a cheap price to pay for the efficiency of getting through customs. I'd look for the smallest guy; he seemed a decent sort.

Just under an hour to get through the border and we were away on the route down to Chefchaouen where we'd booked a hotel. We'd decided to book one night ahead each day. We avoided the autoroute and cruised slowly but assuredly down the national roads and arrived at our hotel, overlooking the town.

Mission accomplished, we were in Morocco and planning a great few days riding South.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 03:57 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote