View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #255
tete OP
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The plug looks a little lean. You should open the plugs, turn them out, each, another 1/4 turn. They are going to look mostly white because it's the way today's gas burns.But it would be better to have them a little black, then you can turn in a little. Too rich is not as bad as too lean.

The timing is two degrees too far advanced. Is your picture of the timing window with the rpm raised? If so you should retard timing so the F is not above the arrow. OK, It's 1 degree off. Not bad. If this is at speed, not idle.

If this is idle you are off by almost 20 degrees.

You probably need a tachometer so you can know what the rpms are.

If the pipes are getting red hot when you ride it, something is wrong. The pipes get hot, hot enough to burn but they shouldn't "glow".

You should try to hook up with another Airhead close to you or even better a Tech Day where there are several experienced gear heads. From here I'm out of ideas.

The bike didn't have this problem of not turning off before you installed the Boyer? Did it? This is why we want you to fix the OEM system before adding such stuff. It appears the Boyer is hard wired to positive. You turn the rest of the electricity off and on with the key but the coils might be hot all the time.

With the key off. Take the gas tank off. With the test light grounded at the clip, touch the pointed end to the outer terminal of the right hand coil. If key is off the light should not glow, if it does, the coils are hot.
My drawing of the "F" mark was at higher RPMs or at speed. I just took it for a 30 minute ride and it was super smooth overall. The pipes are getting ok hot but certainly not RED hot. About as hot as my hondas. I will make it run a little richer as suggested. I rode over to my buddies house to compare to his R75/5 but he wasn't home. I'll retard the timing in the morning just a hair and put the light to it and see if we are better off.

I was thinking the same thing about the coils still being hot etc.. maybe I wired something wrong etc.. I'll do as suggested in the morning. I also plan on setting the valves again once the timing is dead on. I'll make a mention on my boyer install thread , perhaps someone else has had this same issue.

I'm really excited about how well its running.

I WENT FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO START THIS BIKE - NOW I CAN'T TURN IT OFF? such is life.