View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #89
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Next day, up and at em, we're off to the border with Guatemala but before that it's time for breakfast while we're on the road. Got to a little town and there was a woman cooking rotisserie chicken with breakfast advertised

the breakfast was excellent so we decided to hang around and wait while the chicken cooked and get some for lunch

we checked out a motorcycle across the road mainly because we were amazed at the ingenuity required to keep a bike running when you have very little money

the gas tank was gone replaced with a plastic bottle, the wiring had all been redone and the shock was off another bike but the guy sure made this thing move

all along the side of the roads you'll find people selling gas in small bottles in competition with the big gas stations, we stopped to get a picture and the guy said he was selling gas like this because it was his only way of making a few Quetzales

here I am getting ready to hit the road again

as we riding along had to turn around and get a picture of this church, most of it is strictly facade, the church behind is tiny unfinished concrete block

we stopped to have a drink at a store and ended up helping this young lady with her english homework

after finally getting through the border which I have to admit went smoothly after paying 160Q to clear the motorcycle we finally got our first view of Lake Atitlan where we were heading

the view is impressive but the road with a 45 degree drop into the town of Panajachel is slightly unnerving, couldn't get any pictures of it because there is absolutely no where to get stopped to try and get a picture

The time we spent in Panajachel was quiet but I'll start off with pictures of the Grand Hotel where we stayed. As you drive into the gates of the hotel there is a cobblestone courtyard surrounded by rooms which was nice but ordinary, we were in the second courtyard behind the first

I must have taken 25 shots of this tree before I was happy with the results

and of course the mandatory picture of me contemplating the future, I think I was singing a little ditty to myself when this was snapped, I do things like that you know

but enough of the hotel even though it was the most beautiful I have stayed at at 250Q a night for a big double room. While we were in Pana it turned out there were kids coming from all over Guatemala for spots competitions

We heard the band practicing for a solid two days for the parade

I kind of wish they had started the parade a little earlier so my pictures would have been better but such is life

next day they shut the main street of town down and set up a kids playground down the street

I know you are all as pleased as I am my camera is working well again even though the viewing screen is partially screwed up
Up next: On to Antigua
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote