View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Wouldn't worry much about it (versus a rental where you get a LDW).

A demo bike is one that is often loaned out to mature customers to "try" or as a "loaner" for customers who are getting their bike serviced. It may be even used by the shop to get a feel of what a bike may do. 1000km of mileage appears to reflect that.

For customers who want to "demo" the bike, they most certainly weren't ready to drop a few thousand dollars on it so that's why it's still there. This means they may have played with it gingerly, but with new tires and the voice of reason in the back of their mind ("if you drop it, you'll own it") they'll take it gingerly. No wheelies, stoppies or grinding pegs - anything that would leave obvious marks.

The shop guys... different story. But they know what they did and when you bring it back you'll probably have less of an issue ("Uh, yeah, this the bike I did that long burn out in the parking lot after I dropped the clutch - hard. FUN! Let me fix her right up") getting any work done and fixed up perfect.

A return from a customer who changed their mind, a bike used as part of a rental fleet for touring, a trade in... I'd be much much more cautious.

I was seeing 20% off (technically farkles) for 2012 models too. Seems to be the going rate for a bike with a wee bit of demo mileage.

Switch it around - if you ran the shop, and wanted the demo bike out, how much would you cut off the price?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote