View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #38
Hewby OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I stopped at Basaseachi falls, after a fantastic ride over hwy 16. I found a free camp at the head of the falls, and had a lovely evening cooking on coals under the stars. The heat had dissipated and I wrapped myself snuggly in my sleeping bag. Once again surprised to feel the chill after the heat of the Sonoran desert.
Untitled

There was a shortcut to the Copper canyon on my map that looked unpaved, but took off 100km on my journey. This area was known for a high amount of drug activity and after the challenging conditions of the paved roads further north, I was concerned about heading off road alone for so long. However word on Adv had me speaking to the police at the road blocks, and other locals, to check on the planned route. After a number of nods I found the way to be a beautiful well made road, curving delightfully through the mountains to Creel. After lunch, I headed into the Copper Canyon to the town of Divisadero to the rim of the Canyon.
Untitled
It was such a strange feeling, I was riding beautiful roads, seeing amazing sites, but my mood was low. After camping alone the day before and spending a lot of time on the bike in my own head I was surprised at how isolated I had made myself. My limited Spanish had made it difficult to interact significantly with people around me, and while I was used to traveling solo, spending so much time on the motorbike I found had removed me from others. My ties to home had me feeling down as I couldn’t be there for those that I loved. And in my head I questioned what I was doing here on the bike. I started to have second thoughts.

I head to a hostel to try and get some interaction to get my self out of this rut. After pulling up and negotiating a dorm bed, with a cheap dinner and breakfast thrown in, I came out to the bike to find people waiting by my bike. A Dutch couple, Marjolein and Christian http://www.gs-adventures.nl/, who were riding two 20 year old GS’s south to Ushuaia as well. I am stoked to met people. It was like an answer to my prayers. I always find it funny that when I need something the universe provides it. I feel almost blessed, and very, very lucky. Both our hotels had the same deal for dinner so we spend the night eating sadly pretty bland food, but excitedly making plans to ride the supposedly beautiful but often treacherously steep and often washed out road to Batopilas in the morning together. Not something I was particularly keen on doing alone.

Hewby screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:54 PM
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote