View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #63
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Monday 10/1: Hazard, Kentucky - Huntington, West "By God" Virginia

Well, at least I got into a different state...NO, not "state of consciousness..." Sheesh.

The Weather Finally Catches Up to Dr. Greg

Aside from the first few hot days, I had pretty much experienced beautiful weather this whole trip. Well, that came to an end this morning:

I had been following the weather "electronically," of course, and I expected the rain to start when it did. But...it's always nice to hope the forecast is wrong. But it wasn't.

So it's pretty much rained all day today in Kentucky (which is where I was). Didn't even bother to have the camera out on the bike, although the vistas of clouds hanging in the many "hollows" of the hills were spectacular in their own way.

I did snap one pic at a gas stop; just proof that it was really raining. BTW, can't tell from the pic, but as I left this fuel stop it was rainin' HARD. Visibility was rather poor for a while. Don't like that...

So I made it a short day. I was feelin' pretty tired anyway; it was cold (59 deg F...perfect hypothermia weather) so I called it "quits" early. That's one of the wonderful things about not being on a schedule.

Tomorrow's Ride

The last time I was in West Virginia (Fall 2010) I was astounded that none of it was flat. Back then I hadn't really taken any time to ride the backroads. Well, rainy weather and unknown backroads are a tricky combination in my book, so I think what I'll do is make Tuesday a short day as well, then try and ride a few West Virginia backroads on Wednesday as I work my way closer to Gettysburg, PA.

I've gotten a couple suggestions on roads; I'll just "play it by ear" (remember, I have perfect pitch) and see what happens.

I'm not a big fan of camping in the rain; I've got a couple possible "homestays" in PA and MD. And when the weather clears up camping is again a possibility.

Sorry there was so little to write about today...maybe it's getting time for me to take a "REST DAY." I often do that on trips. Heck, maybe I'll just stay at this motel ($59 for a big ol' room) another night, and wait for the weather to clear. Let Milledue dry out a little...

Anyway, I'll let y'all know what happens.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote