View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Gnarly Adventurer
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 379
Originally Posted by MitchB View Post
May have answered my own question...

A call to CA DMV reveals any vehicle 25 years old or older is exempt from EPA / 50 state compliance.

If anyone has had a different experience, please advise before I spend any money..!

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978-year models. Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label.

NOTE: ATV OHVs cannot be originally registered for on-highway use or converted to on-highway registration, regardless of aftermarket conversion kits or added equipment.

Please direct questions regarding emission certification or labeling to the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450 or visit their website at

I'm not finding any documentation of this "vintage" rule. That's getting really recent these days. Plates on a CR500? Probably not. The bike will still have to have been sold for road use originally, at least, and at the time have been compliant with federal on-road emissions requirements for its year of manufacture.

Smog test exemption is stalled out at 1975 model year.
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote