View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #41
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
We drove down to Animas Forks and found a sign that directed us to Silverton, the GPS was telling us to go the opposite direction. I remember mapping this route out and selecting a less direct route to Silverton. We follow the GPS, we were climbing again. The GPS then directed us down a lightly traveled steep downhill trail. The trail was loose baby heads from ATVs tearing it up, the bike's tires were skidding, this doesn't feel right. We end up in a parking area for the Sound Democrat Mill site, an abandoned silver mine. Normally I would be all excited about exploring a mine site, but all I was worried about was getting the bikes back up that loose trail. Nothing to worry about, going down was actually a lot worse than climbing out.

Once we get to where the trail tees to the road we continue up the road. We met a group of ATV and off road bikes, there must have been 30 of them. Kids of all ages and their adult chaperones, they were having a good time. Once we reach the summit we stop and take some pictures and start the climb down. The road down was steep and the pucker factor was high, these midsize bikes with 50 lbs of gear are not the right tool for this job. We finally intersect a heavier traveled road and realize during the last hour or so we had just made a big loop. Silverton was still just down the road. The loop was CR 9, Picane Gultch.

We had to yield for this group.

CR 9

The Sound Democrat Mill

The mill site

Alex leaving the mill site.

View from the top.

ktmklx screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 09:46 PM
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote