View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #20
Paulutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
By the way, I am rather new to off-road adventure riding. But, I've done a lot of backpacking. When I got on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia in June, I had $300.00 and had to work along the way. I made it to Vermont by fall, found work on a farm where I wound up returning to work for 3 seasons & am good friends with that family to this day. Anyway, there are lots of inspiring people who do the A.T. on a limited budget, while there are also many who spend thousands on expensive gear and are so obsessed with conquering the trail that they burn themselves out and forget to have a good time. I could go on and on with stories, but I'll just say that I quickly learned that the people who tended to have the best time & go the furthest were the ones who spent the least amount of money and carried the smallest amount of weight. On the AT, you were almost never more than a week away from your next opportunity to get supplies. You could carry a week's worth of good plus your necessary gear & realistically keep your pack to between 25 & 35lbs, depending on how extreme you got about weight. Some guys even cut the handles off their toothbrushes. At any rate, I have often wondered why the same sort of ultralite philosophie wasn't more present in adventure riding. Nor have I yet figured out why I would need a huge, heavy pannier system on a motorcycle when, on the trail, I learned to keep my load down to a pack not much bigger than a day pack. However, Iwill say that' when I started hiking the AT, I had a very large, expensive backpack that I had bought used & believed that I just wouldn't carry as much in it. I eventually had to come to the realization that the more I could carry, the more I would carry and traded down for a smaller pack. I also bought a very expensive pair of hiking boots that, within 300 miles started to crumble apart. I was happy to in cheap, $20 running shoes from Kmart for the rest of my trip. It may just turn out that you pioneer a movement of minimalist motorcyclists. Call it a school of thought, write a book, & charge big money to give seminars on how to travel light & cheap.
Paulutions is offline   Reply With Quote