View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #66
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
On Gravel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb255 View Post
I have nothing against smaller bikes, I used to preach loudly that they were a lot more capable than people give them credit for, but I could not go back to them for gravel road work.

Just can't imagine a loaded small thumper keeping up. On single track? Sure, but I thought we were taking about dirt roads, steep ones at that? There are smaller light bikes that definatly will but they are high performance bikes that get away from what I consider a dual sport. They are more like plated racers not able to with stand long pavement . Ive only heard comparison to the DR 650. Not many higher end bikes. ( Husky, Ktm, Husaburg.....) Ive ridden and ridden with small thumpers and on twisty single they left me, but on steep rough or dirt road? If you cant maintain at least 60 on pavment I doubt you will on dirt.
My WR250r can keep 60mph pretty easily on gravel. Granted my old XR650L was better, torque does account for difference. This and deep sand, my XR could really hammer through the deep sand, so long as it was two track or better. Off the road, the xr's suspension was just as good as the WR, but the weight and how the xr carried it was very tiring on anything resembling single track.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote