View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #65
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
In 2011, a Canadian husband and wife went missing when they mistakenly followed their GPS into the mountains between Owyhee and Jarbidge, Nevada. The woman was found in her van after 48 days. Her husband had taken off on foot to try to find help.

When we went thru the area between Owyhee and Jarbidge, I wondered if we might find his body out there. I hoped not but it seems like crazy things always happen on these desert trips so it was a possibility. At the time I was planning the routes, I did not have any specific knowledge of where the van was found, just that it was in Northern Nevada.

Luckily, we did not find him.

He was just found by some hunters.

Elko Daily News Article

Here is a map of the area that was searched.

On the 4th day of our ride, I met a guy named Chris who was involved in the Search and Rescue attempt to find the husband. He was hanging out with his son at the radio site at the top of Hinkey Pass. He told me exactly where the van was found and showed it to me on my map. He told me he was planning to go and search some more for the unlucky husband later in the summer. When I saw on the news that Mr. Chretien's remains had been found, I thought maybe Chris had found him.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote