View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #87
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
You know about Gettysburg, Doc. Three days that changed the course of the struggle. Before it, Robert E Lee always fought from high ground strongholds, and teased the Union army to flail at them over and over from lesser positions. After staggering losses, the Union regularly retreated... until Gettysburg.

For the very first time, Robert E Lee did the flailing himself against obviously superior positions...and lost his army in his desperation. When you tour the battlefield and revisit the various struggles that took place over those three days, it will be obvious to you too. The terrain ruled and the Union owned it.

-The Angle
-The Round Tops
-The Charge

Fascinating
Thanks for the mini-lesson. I did some reading last night. It is interesting that the first two "big" battles I've seen were both "pivotal," and both occurred at about the same time: (1) Siege of Vicksburg, and (2) Battle of Gettysburg.

I intend to visit more sites (Shiloh for sure), but...

Looks like rain this morning, so I might delay my start a bit. This afternoon and tomorrow look a little better. Compared to the "US West," the weather just doesn't seem to behave itself around here very well...

Thanks again for the summary.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote