View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #613
Wobblyoldgeezer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
For those who do suffer deprivation when young (which can come from enforced isolation, neglect or abuse) life can be a living physiological hell: the desire for love and affection still exists (and is in a lot of cases even greater than in well-adjusted counterparts), but the capacity to actually FEEL loved is greatly diminished.

But if we examine the stereotypical cyclist (rebellious, recalcitrant, problems with the authorities, hard-drinking, self-sabotaging, dissatisfied, frustrated, empty, adrenaline-seeking, loners who-if they find their place in society-still will never feel like they belong)

So why is it that so many people who have similar symptoms to those with limbic malfunction choose cycles? .
hello from Bahrain. ex Duc, 750 sport and ST2 owner, and marathoner and endurance cyclist - some points of contact!
I edited and altered your post above, which I found fascinating and informative. In particular, I cut 'motor' from cyclist!

Did you ever read Paul Kimmage, Brit cyclist, good enough for Tour de France in mid 80s? In his book 'Rough Ride', he points out that most bike racers had an interrupted childhood, absent parents (although Kimmage didn't mention them, Lance, Bradley, Millar and many others are in this category) and immersed themselves in self chosen pain and un-satisfiable achievement motive, hence prey to chemical temptation.

Great ride report. Stay safe and happy

Wobblyoldgeezer screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 10:15 AM Reason: put in the 'although Kimmage didn't mention ' ; that is my extrapolation
Wobblyoldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote