View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #101
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Wow...

I was enjoying this thread when all of a sudden it deteriorated. Anyway, boys will be boys...

My reasoning for getting a smaller dual sport are:
1. New to dirt riding (almost 5yrs/90k miles on the road)
2. I'm 5'4" with 29 1/2" inseam and average strength for a chick
3. Trailering isn't an option (I own a "clown car")
4. Budget is $2-3 grand (used)

It's nice to know that folks have ridden everywhere on everything. I can't afford to nor would I want to have a bike for every off-road application as some have mentioned. Just one dual sport will have to do it all for me as far as adventure traveling goes. Of course I will always have the option of upgrading just like I did when I sold by Ninja 250 to get a Street Triple. People couldn't believe the little Ninja had enough power to deal with LA traffic for an hour long commute into the city but I never had any issues with it at all. After riding 12k through the US and Canada I'm certain Southern California has the worst drivers so I'm not worried about getting run off the freeway by a school bus. Route choice, skill, awareness, tactics/strategy, etc, play a bigger role in staying out of harm's way than hp and cc's. Even with my limited off-roading knowledge I'm sure the same concept applies.

I'm envisioning more of a "Lois on the Loose" as opposed to an Ewan and Charlie type adventure. At the top of my list is the mighty Honda CRF 230L. I can handle any of its shortcomings as I am sure it will be able to deal with mine.

VixObs screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:04 PM Reason: sp
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote