View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
I have gotten 5 bikes registered in the last 6 years. None were inspected for lights or turn signals.
I made a few safety improvements after getting them registered.

1. Moped -- just fill out the paperwork and send it in.

2. 1975 XL175 -- no paperwork, just bill of sale. Not running, just a junk pile.
a) Start at DMV
b) CHP inspection
c) Back to DMV to finish.

3. 1976 XL175 -- no paperwork, just bill of sale. Not running, just a junk pile.
a) Start at DMV - The DMV said I did not have to go the the CHP, but Sacramento said they were wrong.
b) CHP inspection

4. 1965 CT200 -- no paperwork, just bill of sale. Not running, Brand new engine.
a) Start at DMV
b) CHP inspection

5. 1964 CT200 -- no paperwork, just bill of sale. Not running, Brand new engine.
a) Start at DMV
b) CHP inspection

Granted they are old bikes, so maybe that means something.

Don
Yes, the age of the bikes had something to do with it:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch15/ch15_15.htm

"All new and used off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration must be verified to determine if the motorcycle complies with the ARB regulations.

These regulations require a 1978 year model and newer off-highway motorcycles to have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use.
A motorcycle may not be converted to on-highway or dual registration if the motorcycle is:
1978 or newer year model motorcycle with an engine 50cc and larger and no emissions label.
1978 or newer year model with an emissions label indicating off-road or off-highway only."

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote