View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #93
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Left GTO This morning. I could have spent more time there, but I was ready to move on. I am not quite ready to stay in one place for more than a few days. I would like to go back there some time.

I made it to Uruapan. It was a pretty ride, but I will admit it was one of the first days that navigation was a bit tougher. I think I missed a turn at each interchange. In my defense some of them were poorly signed or had growth over the arrows so I could not see which way until too late.

And for those that care, I have a GPS with Bici maps Mexico maps, which are routable.I also have a paper map. It is a combination for me because neither is foolproof. But it is still a lot of sign reading. I also write down some of the town names because it is easy to forget which direction at the turn and they use names of the next town.

I will also mention there were a bunch of protests on the roads about the new labor laws. In at least one place the traffic was backed up almost a mile. It was really nice to be on a bike then. Just weaved up to the front and passed through.

Uruapan itself seems a bit boring. Patzcuaro looked pretty neat on the way here. A little better planning and I would have stopped there instead.