View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697
(Selected Quotes from multiple posts by JDowns)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

South America or bust. I tell people I'm heading out on a 250 dirt bike and they think I'm nuts. I don't care. It's what I've got and I'm riding the wheels off it while I still can. This ride report is for all those people who have dreamed of riding long and far but aren't sure if it's possible. I'm here to tell you, yes it is. I don't have a lot of money and I'm not too bright. If I can do it anyone can. You just have to set a date, save as much money as you can and GO!!!!!

So ride along and watch the adventure unfold and see if its possible to ride a little bike to South America and back with limited funds. Perhaps you will see that it is something you can do sooner than you thought possible.I only have 5000 bucks which is a lot for me but not much compared to more fortunate folks. I may have to eat ramen and do a lot of camping. But I am determined to make it there and back.

If I run short of funds I will figure out how to set up a paypal account and beg for money. But I'm not there yet. Plus I don't know how. Anyway, I write these ride reports for me as much as anyone. I enjoy reading them later and remembering all the wonderful people and great roads.

I do hope to visit other ADVriders on the tentspace list though. And have them sign my gastank. You guys are the only sponsors I need. Several people have already offered places to stay and I intend to meet as many ADVriders as possible on the road south. I know I enjoy it when folks stay at my place. It should be fun!

I have nothing against people who ride big bikes and live large. It's fun to read their ride reports. And yes I know their rear shock cost more than my bike. Nothing wrong with that. I just can't afford to do it. Anyway, I have been through Mexico and Central America many times and it pounds the crap out of your bike. I would hate to have a lot of expensive stuff to keep an eye on really. And living in rural Nebraska, I actually enjoy seeing how far I can go on a limited budget. Its not for everyone though. But if nothing else, I hope to inspire some of the younger folks out there to see that yes they can ride long and far for less than they might imagine.

#1- I'll make some contributes to your S.America trip and when I am down there in couple of years, you can make some contributes when you are reading my riding report at your home in few years from now? Setting Paypal is so easy.. just use the email addy you normally use to register for an account, then add your routing and checking acct info using your checkbook. Paypal will deposit few cents into your account for you to input and if your input is correct, your account is verified and set to go!

#2- I have to say this that you and I are alike in most way. We are cheapskate and can survive to go as far as we want to go. This last summer, I decided to do TAT at very last minute joining my friend and I had a $1,200 budget to get to Port Orford from my home in Seven Springs, NC. In Moab, I struggled to decide if I should go on with my trip with low fund and no tools (lost it in Colorado) but thanks to friends via Facebook, I got few hundred dollars in donation to continue so I finished the trip the overall one-way was $1,390 making final cost $2,600 when I got home. This TAT trip was my prelude to Key West-Deadhorse-Ushuaia trip and now I feel confidence in doing the big trip on a very tight and restricted budget.

So now I am going to keep a close watch on your Riding Report with a $5k budget to start with heading out with guts to do whatever it takes getting down there. Please do share your expenses of getting yourself and your bike over the Darien as this insight would give me some idea what to prepare. If you prefer, maybe PM me the total overall expenses if you are not comfortable sharing it on here.

And out of curious, what is the main goal in S. America? Tierra Del Fuego? Ushuaia?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote