View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
(Selected Quotes from multiple posts by JDowns)

#1- I'll make some contributes to your S.America trip and when I am down there in couple of years, you can make some contributes when you are reading my riding report at your home in few years from now? Setting Paypal is so easy.. just use the email addy you normally use to register for an account, then add your routing and checking acct info using your checkbook. Paypal will deposit few cents into your account for you to input and if your input is correct, your account is verified and set to go!

#2- I have to say this that you and I are alike in most way. We are cheapskate and can survive to go as far as we want to go. This last summer, I decided to do TAT at very last minute joining my friend and I had a $1,200 budget to get to Port Orford from my home in Seven Springs, NC. In Moab, I struggled to decide if I should go on with my trip with low fund and no tools (lost it in Colorado) but thanks to friends via Facebook, I got few hundred dollars in donation to continue so I finished the trip the overall one-way was $1,390 making final cost $2,600 when I got home. This TAT trip was my prelude to Key West-Deadhorse-Ushuaia trip and now I feel confidence in doing the big trip on a very tight and restricted budget.

So now I am going to keep a close watch on your Riding Report with a $5k budget to start with heading out with guts to do whatever it takes getting down there. Please do share your expenses of getting yourself and your bike over the Darien as this insight would give me some idea what to prepare. If you prefer, maybe PM me the total overall expenses if you are not comfortable sharing it on here.

And out of curious, what is the main goal in S. America? Tierra Del Fuego? Ushuaia?
Hi WAWC,

Wow! Thanks for the info and encouragement! I will gladly donate on your future ride report. And will get right on setting up a paypal account. I didn't realize it was so easy. I think it would be a good thing to have even if only so my friends and family can easily get money to me if the bike blows up or my wallet gets stolen or somesuch.

I have no problem reporting back how much it costs. You don't hear much about how much it takes to get down to South America and back other than a lot or as much as you have.

Mind you I am traveling on a shoestring budget which is not for everyone. But I know there are a lot of folks that can travel frugally and would appreciate hearing back how much to expect to spend.

As far as goals that's a tough question. Last trip I was heading to Guatemala to the dentist since I hadn't been in 20 years and figured I needed root canals or something. I ended up riding to Panama and back after finding out it would only cost me 400 bucks to have my teeth fixed. I started out with 3000 and ended up with 700 when I got back to Arizona. So minus dental work it cost 1900 to get to Panama and back. But I didn't do much camping. Mostly stayed in Cheap Hotels. This trip, sure it would be nice to make it down to Patagonia or Ushuaia and see some penguins, but realistically I don't think I have the funds. I am getting older and have always wanted to make it to South America. And I'm gonna get there this time whicheverAnywayIcan gosh durnit'.

Kindest regards,
John Downs