View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #62
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
New Yauk, New Yauk...and Beyond!

The morning had me riding the Long Island ferry.

Once again, not much to see as a fog hung over all.

The ride down thru Long Island was enjoyable with me missing any of the rain they were talking about. The whole New York thing has had me biting my nails and asking people what they thought about my proposed route. Lots of advice but really, it was all Greek to me as I stumbled on blindly. I am really feeling that Garmin maps have taken some steps backwards as road and highway designations are often totally different from Google maps. But I followed my preprogrammed route and, as I got closer to the Big A, I got into the shit. The ride along Long Beach, Rockaway and the Shore Parkway had me seeing it all. The big butt Hos. The corner 'drugstores'. The works. Finally onto the Staten Is. Expressway got me landed there right in rush hour. Across the bridge and the longest four mile climb up the hill thru the aforementioned rush hour AND road construction had my fingers aching and that big clutch squeaking. As I got rolling a bit the New Jersey Turnpike took me most of the way thru Staten Island where I promptly bailed and took a hotel room. And, the biggest letdown was my plan to SEE NY. I mean just see it while driving by. The fog took care of that. Never saw a building.
Not a big deal. Gonna spend my time at DC.
The next morning did provide me with a great ride down to Atlantic City. Perfect conditions. 72 degrees, no wind, little traffic.

I started getting a crazy idea that I might hang out here for a day and, what? Even gamble. A ride thru the concrete, glass and steel had me remembering my last three day stint in Las Vegas and how I couldn't wait to get outta there. It just aint me. So I carried on down the coast. A very pleasant ride.
Three PM and I am at Cape May.

Turns out it's a six PM sailing. So a bunch of book reading took place. The temp was now up to about 78 and the humidity felt like the tropics. Time to peel off the gear and wait it out.

We leave in the haze but within twenty minutes a bit of a wind is happening, clearing the haze and humidity.
Then comes the big bonus. A most awesum sunset, dudes!

Took waaay to many pics but, what the hell.
Writing from Delaware right now with an intended ride right into DC. Gotta book a couple of days and use the Metro.
Can u believe it? Supposed to be 80+ degrees today. Gotta love it.