View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
whitham_wannabe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Wunderlich Shifter Failure

I have had a Wunderlich shifter on my GS for a few years now, and love it. It ain’t cheap, but I have limited movement in my left ankle, so it helps a lot getting the shifter in a position that I can use.

After 3 years happy use, on the way to NorCal for a week’s riding, this happens.

What the hell? I haven’t even crashed on that side. Of course I have the old one as a spare, but that’s at home in my spares box. First fix attempt …

… lasted about an hour. Second fix attempt, using magic metal …

… got me through the rest of the week, and a few days commuting, until …

The fixed part actually survived, but the little stub has now broken off. Bugger.

What to do? Don’t feel like forking out for another Wunderlich shifter but still want the luxurios Wunderlich features …

Take one piece of angle iron, and some basic tools. Mix in an hour of my time, and a little Rustoleum.

And hey preto! Good as new.

Just had to post this up, because yes, I am very proud of my bodging skill. And I also like to imagine the look on the face of some teutonic engineer were they to see how their shifter design was 'improved' by some pikey in a garage with a chunk of old angle iron and a hammer.

Just call me MacGyver.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote