View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Bluethumb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I've not done a google search as suggeseted. I have looked Craiglist locally, Dallas, Austin, Houston, and prices are pretty much as I described. Looking at ads on IBMWR.org marketplace also shows prices like I described.

I do hear your point, which is reasonably priced airheads are still to be had. It's just not what I'm seeing. There's a nice '82 R100S in the Autin Craiglist for $3,750, which seems pretty reasonable. Yet, if the splines are worn, rubber bad, needs the top end refreshed, you could be looking at two grand easily. The same Craiglist has a R100R for $6,000 and a 81 R80g/s for $8,000.

I know all that can be said about any item is worth what the market will pay. And just because a bike is advertised for "x" amount of money that doesn't mean that s what it will sell for.

But with that said, every market has its price range, be it Mopar cars, Rolex watches, or antique Chinese vases.

Still seems to me the airhead market has jumped out of proportion in the last few years. Example, four years ago I sold my 84 R80G/S for $5,800. PD tank, stock tank, Corbin dual seat, NOS solo seat and rack, 1,000 cc upper end plus stock cylinders, Works shock, oil cooler, Jesse bags, extra set of very nice wheels, etc., etc. and although I got my asking price, it took me awhile. Now I see a bone stock R80G/S, plain Jane, for $8,500. That's a big jump in 4 years, during a severe recession. Other G/S's listed for similar prices.

We, on this forum, make up the market in a sense. So I'm curious, from all of you out there, what is the market value for airheads?
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote