View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
roly1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Wink Day 9

Day 9 - Hue to Hoi An - Riding the cliffs

Just out of Hue, Vietnam

The lads at the local Yamaha garage changed my bike’s oil for free, which was a good start. 
From Hue I boosted to Da Nang on a great coastal road, which wrapped itself around steep cliffs, with hundreds of varied turns, which was fun. You can kind of pick out the road here -

Coastal road near Da Nang, Vietnam

At the top of a tall cliff I stopped at the ruins of an old American fort. There were plenty of tourists but they scarpered in and out of their tour buses fairly quickly. I met a tiny lady who tried to marry me to her daughter, which was not fun.

Coastal town near Da Nang, Vietnam

On other side of Danang I spotted a huge white figure on a cliff so I headed over there.

Towards the coastal monastery, Vietnam

At the base of the giant I found a big monastery with serene gardens and monks chanting. Chilled.

View from the monastery, Vietnam

Big statue in the monastery, Vietnam

Another view from the monastery, Vietnam

The clouds on the mountain top make this photo for me -

Monastery gardens, Vietnam

I arrived in Hoi An by late afternoon, the first thing I noticed were the foreigners, I hadn't seen this many Western faces since Hanoi. The sight of their fat obligatorily enormous DSLRs aimed at the disheveled locals was enough to make me want to leave. I soon found a decent cheap hotel just by cruising around the tight busy streets. I met a few nice travelers, most memorably a lovely Australian chap called Kim who had traveled a lot in his retirement. Just by observing he had learned a lot about how the Vietnamese live and work, from building concrete boats (something I had already seen in China) to fixing motorbikes. His advice and knowledge was much appreciated.

roly1 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 11:42 AM Reason: spelling
roly1 is offline   Reply With Quote