View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1080
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,031
Pulling down the top end

Started to pull down the top end on Gus.

This originally started because the RHS base has started to seep, then a compression test showed the RHS down a bit on the LHS. I decided to re-ring, & to use the higher compression pistons I had left from a prior rebuild for the RS (went to 1st oversize - iron bores).

First I soaked the RS piston in 100% concentrated ‘Simple Green’ overnight. I’d heard that this assisted with carbon removal. If it does, overnight is insufficient soaking. Very hot soapy water had a better impact. Supershaft also noted that chopsticks make a good carbon removal tool / scraper. He’s right. And an old penny worked for the more stubborn patches, but is more inclined to mark the piston if not used carefully.

Removed the exhaust, the carbs, & dropped off the RHS barrels & heads.

The Barrels are showing their 215k kms wear. There is a ridge near the head, at the bottom (pushrod side) front of the barrel, visible, & with the hone marks worn away. You can just feel it when you run a finger or thumb over it.

Pulled the valves. There is discernable slop between the valves & guides. Definitely need attention, but perhaps not this time. The seats look okay.

I'm trying to talk myself out of stealing the RS heads. They had new valves, guides & seats not long before it got parked. I would need to flare out the exhaust to do that (40mm spigots). But its twin plugged...

I’ve spent a reasonable amount of time de-carboning Gus's RHS head & the RS pistons this afternoon. I’ll put up photos in tomorrow’s installment

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 11:57 PM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote