View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #72
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Kinda funny when the Long Way Round video guy gets on the 1000.00 russian POS bike and rides circles around Charlie and Ewan,light bike,no problem.
I was thinking the exact same thing while I was reading your post above. They buy that Chinese two-stroke bike for like $1200, and their camera-man gets on it, and you can see the look on his face; he's probably thinking "phuck this big-bike bull$hit, this little bike is where its at".

But while watching the LONG WAY Down/Round videos, I get to thinking that their trips were meant to be commercial ventures (making $$$) as much or more than about the ride. Good for them. They found a way to get all of or most of their stuff for free, i.e. bikes/tools/clothes/gear; then telecast and sold the experience on DVD's and whatnot and made a lot of money.

But as you can see, there are plenty of peeps like us who want to know about how the 'little guy' can do an adventure ride on an extremely limited budget. Hell, JD hasn't even left home yet and there are 5 pages of responses. Everyone is watching this ride report like a bunch of hungry dogs and JD isn't even close to Mexico yet. Why you ask? Because he is doing what all of us 'watchers' are wishing we could do, especially ME!

What is crazy for me is, I am self-employed; which means I can come and go as I please, and I have more than enough $$$ to make a trip like this happen. What is keeping me at home is my kids. I have a 12 and 10 year-old boys that would be just fine with Mom for 3-4 months without me, but I also have an 18 month-old son who needs constant attention. It would be really $hitty of me to leave the wife.com at home with three kids to look after for 4 months while I'm on some adventure.

Until then, for the next 5-6 years, I'll have to just sit and read these damned ride reports and live vicariously through peeps like J.D.

Go JD, go JD, go JD...............