View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
roly1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cool2 Day 10`

Day 10 - Hoi An to MySon and back - Cultural diversion

Road to MySon, Vietnam

I rode out to the My Son ruins through flat rice paddy meadows and over lazy streams. Arriving at 10 there were already many tourists who had arrived on the coaches that had been trying to kill me for the last two weeks, so I had to wait a while for a guide.

By this time it was blowing my mind that people were sitting on coaches and being shipped about behind tinted glass from Attraction A to Attraction B.

Poor bugger was frozen to the side of the water I bought, had to peel him off and bin him when some kid started screaming -
Poor little frozen lizard

A lovely young lady called Ms. Yung took me around the ruins. I felt wrong for doing such a touristy thing but I had never seen Hindu sites modern or ancient, and the experience was interesting. I had the opportunity to talk to Ms. Yung a while about her education, growing up in the country and moving to Saigon to go to college, before settling in Hoi An to work at the ruins, a very interesting person. I found that many of the girls who worked in tourism had been to Saigon for a degree in language and tourism before returning to their hometown. I wondered if they had a choice.

Overgrown temples, Myson ruins,, Vietnam

Courtyard clearing, MySon ruins, Vietnam

Pillar detail, Myson ruins, Vietnam

Fallen pillars, MySon ruins, Vietnam

Once back near my hotel I arranged for a guide to accompany me to my next major destination, Kon Tum, for two days. I had heard there were some beautiful secret waterfalls in the valleys ahead but needed some local knowledge to find them. By the evening I was looking forward to being in the middle of nowhere again.

roly1 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 02:21 PM
roly1 is offline   Reply With Quote