View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Three years ago I set out to visit all of the covered bridges that were still standing in Washington county. With the help of my late friend, Randy Ball, I learned that there were 10 left in the county. See the accompanying photograph......note that it states "10 covered bridges".........

Randy worked for a number of years at the Washington County Tax Map Office and he knew more about where anything in the county was located, who owned it and how to get there than anyone else in the county. As a matter of fact the county could probably have done away with the department and just had Randy to address any question one might have concerning such things. So with his help I learned that the map was wrong.

Now how could a map possibly be wrong? That would be confusing to anyone who needed to know important things like how many covered bridges there were in Washington county. If someone might be, let's just say for the hell of it, planning to visit, in one day, all 10 bridges on a dual sport motorcycle to post a little ride report on ADVrider and the map was wrong it might cause undue concern. One would look for days for those 10 bridges that the map says are there, even months and years, because THERE'S ONLY 9 COVERED BRIDGES in Washington County, Ohio.