View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
georgesgiralt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thank you for the reply, they are a real relief !
The bike sat unused for some time (been run on and off for 7 years, which explains the low odometer reading).
When unleaded came out I used lead substitute on standard valve seats. Now, I do not use it anymore as French user reported it's expensive and useless * (if you monitor your valve clearance quite often, you'll see it the seats are going in ). I had the valves redone 60 k kilometers ago and the seats where not touched. Maybe next time the valves have to be done, will I ask for new lead free seats...
Now I plan to use the bike more and more instead of my fine and boring Honda. So I renovated the bike to make it look like new. In that process, I've overhauled the carbs and put new floats and new diaphragms. So I expect them to survive the ethanol. (the old floats had still the same weight and floated like the new... )
The tank has still it's original liner and, as far as I can tell, it's still in good condition (no garbage in the tap's filters other than the junk found in modern gasoline... ) I hope it will stay OK for long as the repair liner are not as good as they used to be according to other French users.
* In fact I had trouble geting a very good carbs jetting with the lead substitute. It seems that it interact differently with different brand gasoline. It is becoming difficult to have these engine running fine these days.
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote