View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #36
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Didn't offend me haha and if you did I didn't notice. I cut down the "wedge" that may suffice for the snub nosed section. Will play with it on Friday!!!!!

I will also be working on the CF, I am curious after watching your videos/stalking everything you published about CF fabbing in regards to the vacuum method to remove bubbles from your resin etc... is this necessary?

Also I have seen a video published by Polymer products regarding the use of acetone sprayed on the surface after it has set for a while to get a good bubble free piece. Besides the aesthetics should I be concerned about bubbles? Also would this be a good way to get a nice finish, I imagine this only works on completely flat surfaces to self level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKn-59pHNM <--- Acetone at 6:28
I could answer that with a single ...yes.... But trying to be realistic... I'l change that to a perhaps. Try to pour a little cup of cool syrup in a cup before you eat your pancakes.... then pilfer a stir stick, and stir it. It will be almost impossible not to agitate the mix...or should I say aerate it a little. The bigger bubbles will get mashed out and popped with each layer of fabric, but the smaller get's trapped in there, and for your projects, most likely....all will be well. Unless you are making a rear swing arm....or anything structural. So in that case.... no .... it is not important. The moment you switch to a stronger epoxy requiring a post heat cure, that all changes, as the tiny bubbles now expands as air does while heated....and now they get big and ugly..... Just like the bully in fifth grade..... So it is desirable to de-gass the mix, before using it, and brush on the resin slooooowwwwweeeeely. How you do that, is up to you.... Heat... vacuum chamber.... de-gas dance.... your call....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote