View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
roly1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Laugh Day 11

Day 11 - Hoi An to Kham Duc - Venison's dear isn't it

Mr Binh, motorbike guide extraodinaire

I rode out of Hoi An with war veteran guide Mr. Binh, we soon stopped at his sister in laws for some much appreciated water. Binh is an older chap and the riding was slow going, I saw him narrowly miss a few nasty scrapes and wondered if I had made a mistake crippling myself with the old boy.

Drying tobacco in the village, Vietnam

Near some drying tobacco plants, we stopped to talk to another of Binh's relatives, a 17 year old girl trying to learn English, something she believes will allow her to work in tourism and therefore provide better for her family. Our staggered conversation drew the attention of the cutest gang of troublesome stick wielding kids, laughing and screaming at my presence and alien language. Their eager dog friend demanded to be part of everything they did, including running off when I got the camera out.

Local gang, a bit shy, Vietnam

Mid morning we stopped and ate fresh pineapple picked from the mountain earlier that day.

Pineapple harvest in the mountains, Vietnam

Soon after that we rode off the road up a bumpy jungle trail to find a quiet valley with a waterfall. I made plenty of audio recordings climbing around on the rocks for different perspectives, I've already used the recordings in several video game projects! For lunch we stopped for a meal of mountain deer meat and chilies, which was great.

Spicy lunchin a mountain lodge, Vietnam

I then washed the bike for the first time using water piped from a nearby waterfall. Not fifteen minutes down the road we were soaked in a torrential downpour, which would have done the job just as well.

That night we stayed in Kham Duc at the Kham Duc Hotel, which was expanding from little more than a hostel to a mini village in order to house the foreign workers employed at the local gold mines. So I got my own beautiful little bungalow in the middle of a muddy building site. That night dinner was at a local restaurant where, strangely, Binh was the only Vietnamese customer, the others being Australians working at the mines. Binh explained that many Vietnamese had died, and many still do, mining for gold on the mountains around Kham Duc, without the expertise of a professional setup. On a lighter note, I didn't see an ugly girl in Kham Duc, they were all either quite or very attractive, which was nice.

roly1 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 01:24 PM
roly1 is offline   Reply With Quote